Did you know that viewers watch over 100 million hours of videos on Facebook every day?
Video is quickly becoming the media of choice for individual consumers and business alike. Facebook sees this trend and has recently fully implemented cover videos to help you show off your company’s page with video.
This update is great news for businesses. As a brand, it’s important to take every opportunity to connect with your audience and drive home your brand message. Your Facebook cover video is the perfect place to do this. The Facebook cover is often the very first thing visitors see when they come to your page, and a video is perhaps the best way to grab their attention quickly and tell them your story. You can fit more impactful content into a quick cover video than you could into a page description that may not get read anyway.
So what are you waiting for? Get more attention with a great Facebook cover video.
Here’s a picture of our original Facebook cover, and here’s a link to our much improved Facebook video cover. Much more effective, right? We’ll walk you through the process to help you make your own Facebook cover video.
As we mentioned above, there are a few requirements for your Facebook cover video. The first is the dimensions.
Facebook guidelines state, “The recommended dimensions for your video is 820×462 pixels, however it’s required that videos be at least 820×312 pixels.” This isn’t a common size for videos, so most of the videos you’ve already got likely won’t be a perfect fit, but as long as they’re big enough, you’ll be able to drag and reposition it.
Facebook cover videos must be between 20 and 90 seconds long. This is a good length to tell your brand’s story and capture your viewers’ attention.
Facebook doesn’t specify a file size for cover videos, but they do have specifications for other videos of less than 1.75 GB. Since Facebook cover videos have a max length of 90 seconds, you shouldn’t have issues with file size if you’re compressing your videos properly.
Facebook cover videos are still quite a new feature to many so we’ve gathered some good tips to make yours work for you:
- Keep it simple. You want to introduce your brand, tell your story and hook your viewer. Avoid distracting viewers from the main purpose of your page. The goal is to get them to keep looking rather than click away.
- Keep it unique. Share your personal brand story in a way that tells the viewer you’re not like all the other pages in the same space.
- Loop it. Make sure your intro and outro fade together to create a seamless loop.
- Make it silent. Although sound can be accessed if the viewer wants, up to 80% of cover videos won’t be viewed with sound so be sure the viewer experience doesn’t need sound to get your message through.
- Make it fit. To avoid cropping off critical content, the best approach is to make the video the right size to begin with so content doesn’t get cropped out.
- Test it out. Once you get your story straight and have a draft video to work with, upload it to Facebook to see how it looks and feels. Make sure it plays well and consistently tells your brand’s story.
Ready to create your own Facebook cover video? Video Butlers can help you make the perfect video. Get started for free.
Adding media to Facebook is pretty simple and you can add either images or video in the same way. To update your cover, you can either pick a video you’ve already uploaded or you can add a new one.
If you’ve already got a video on Facebook that you want as your cover, you can select “Choose From My Videos.” Facebook will let you know if any of your videos fit their required specs.
- First, register with Video Butlers for a free trial.
- Once you’re logged in, go to the projects page and complete the project request form to tell us exactly what you want your video to look like and specify that it will be for a Facebook cover video.
- Upload any video clips, logos, or other graphics you want us to use.
- Submit your project for completion.
- Once you get your finished video draft from your personal Video Butler, you can review it and request any changes you want.
- When you’re happy, we’ll send you your complete video in the appropriate size and format. You can open Facebook, click the icon in the top left corner of your cover, and select Upload Photo/Video. Simple as that.